When you think of Memphis cuisine, the first thing that usually comes to mind is barbecue. Things that probably don't come to mind are vegan cheesecake, “Beale Street Crepes,” and donut burgers.
But from March 5-11, restaurants featuring these dishes will be featured front and center in the Bluff City for Memphis Black Restaurant Week. During the event, people enjoy two-course lunches for $15 and three-course dinners for $25.
The goal, said Cynthia Daniels, who started Memphis Black Restaurant Week three years ago, is to showcase newer restaurants and help them gain exposure. When it first started, restaurants in Midtown and Downtown were mostly targeted, but Daniels says they’ve expanded to Cordova, Bartlett, and Collierville to feature eateries outside city limits.
“Memphis celebrates different cultures with the Italian Festival, Jewish Festival, Indian Festival and more,” says Daniels. “Memphis Black Restaurant Week was created to highlight minority-owned restaurants for the entire city to enjoy.”
Memphis Black Restaurant Week isn’t just popular with Memphians. Daniels says visitors from out of town will make the trek just to sample the food.
She expects 10,000 people to take part in Memphis Black Restaurant Week this year, which is more than triple the amount of people who took part during its first year.
Soulful Food Truck Sunday will close out Black Restaurant Week on March 11. The family-friendly event will feature food trucks and live music at the historic Clayborn Temple.
Daniels chose to add this event because many Southern restaurants are closed on Sundays.
Learn more about Memphis Black Restaurant Week here.
Here are the 11 restaurants participating:
- HM Dessert Lounge – 1586 Madison Avenue
- The Office @Uptown – 594 North 2nd Street
- Scoops Parlor – 106 GE Patterson Avenue
- Underground Café – 2299 Young Avenue
- G. Alston – 8556 Macon Road
- Lenny's Subs - 12 Cooper Street & 2893 Poplar Avenue
- Slice of Soul Pizza Lounge – 1299 Madison Avenue
- Laura's Kitchen – 2965 North Germantown Parkway
- A&R BBQ – 1802 Elvis Presley Boulevard & 3721 Hickory Hill Road
- The Waffle Iron of Collierville – 144 US 72 Highway
- Two Vegan Sistas – 6343 Summer Avenue